2014-08-08

Mass Effect 2 PhysX System Software Error Message


If you are running the latest version of the Nvidia© PhysX™ System Software you will receive the following error message when you try to launch Mass Effect 2:

Failed to initialize the physics system. Please ensure you have an updated version of the PhysX System Software installed. 


It took me nearly forty minutes to figure out what the problem was and then the compatible version of PhysX. This problem occurred for me when I installed a new video card and updated my drivers. My DVD player on my tower is not operational and I can not access the Mass Effect 2 specific PhysX files on the disk. If you are also experiencing this issue then here is a solution.

  1. Uninstall your old PhysX System Software. It may be listed under Nvidia or PhysX.
  2. Download PhysX System Software v9.10.0513. You can download it here.
  3. Launch and install PhysX_9.10.0513_SystemSoftware.exe
Here is another possible solution. If you have your disk available you can uninstall the existing Nvidia PhysX version and install from the setup that came with the Mass Effect 2 DVD disk.

6 comments: